PLEASE WRITE TO YOUR LOCAL MP AND ASK THEM TO SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN
We are asking everyone who supports the contaminated blood campaign to contact their MP and ask them to pledge to support the Contaminated Blood Bill and join the All Party Group on Haemophilia. We have provided some text you might like to to cut and paste into your own letter or email but remember you letter will carry more weight with your MP if you include your personal experiences. Please remember to let us know the what your MPs says.
If you use this text please remember to:-
- Include your name and address so your MP knows you live in their area.
- Address your letter to the correct MP. If you don't know who your MP is you can look it up at www.writetothem.com
- If you are able to tell the MP why this issue is important to you personally. This especially important if you want your MP to contribute to any debate in the House of Commons.
The House of Commons
I am writing to ask you to support the the campaign for those affected by the contaminated blood disaster.
The Archer Inquiry investigated the fact that between the mid 1970s and late 1980s, 4,670 people with haemophilia were infected with hepatitis C through their NHS treatment. Of these, 1,243 people with haemophilia were also exposed to HIV. Almost half of those infected with hepatitis C, and almost three quarters co-infected with HIV and hepatitis C, have since died. Many have experienced poverty and discrimination as a result of their infections. It's recommendations would offer appropriate support and compensation to those affected and would ensure that steps were taken to improve blood safety in the future.
The last Government argued that the reason that financial support was not being made available at comparable levels to those paid in the Republic of Ireland was because of differences in the disaster between the two countries. However, that argument has now been defeated at Judicial Review.
I am writing today because there are several things you can do to help.
- Support the Contaminated Blood Bill (Bereaved Persons) Bill which would implement the Archer Report. See www.archercbbp.com for more details.
- Join the All Party Group on Haemophilia? If you write to the Haemophilia Society they will publish your name on their website as a member of the group.
I would like the opportunity to meet you to discuss why this issue is so important and what you can do to help.
Thank you for your support,